Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Monkeys, Mountains, and More (Monos, Montañas, y mas!)


My fabulous group of friends and profesora - SRU!
6 de junio!

Last week, we ventured to Mendoza's zoo.  It's absolutely beautiful to walk through, but also kind of depressing. I'd be lying if I said it met the standards of our zoos in the US.  Ever see a camel with deflated humps? The whole zoo itself is immaculate like a rainforest and takes roughly two hours to walk through.  We couldn´t help but notice cute little monkeys swinging high up in the trees, which was fun until my friend got bit by one - YES, you read correctly! My friend got BIT BY A MONKEY!  The zoo staff didn´t help matters by looking horrified when we told them.  They even offered to call an ambulance, but my friend insisted she would get home and visit a local doctor.  Here, there are no rabies vaccines, so she's taking some unknown antibiotic..... She hasn't grown a tail yet, so we're assuming she's okay.

Seriously... mauled by a monkey!
Right beside me... petrified for my life.
See the lion?  Everything here is loco... even cages aren´t a requirement!


Mid-week, I had a study date with mi amiga.  I arrived early and sat by a beautiful fountain where tons of people - students, children, young and old - were relaxing in the sun.  I'm amazed at how full of life this place is.  While waiting for my friend to arrive, I decided to venture into the Mendoza Museum of Modern Art which is located underground.  I was oddly mesmerized by some weird video that played over and over on a big screen. The video was a compilation of images at super high speed that you could only make out by staring at it.  It was a figure of a person running, and running, and running, and running..... I stared for about 10 whole minutes and then - I almost cried. This is the lesser-known side effect of studying here in Argentina.  It's making me cuckoo... It's like I'm the one who's constantly running.  I am a foreigner in an even more foreign, faraway land.  

After that, I met my friend at a local cafe.  Here, there is no counter service.  It's not like Starbucks or DD where you can just walk in, grab a coffee, and leave.  For a simple coffee, you have to sit down and order.  If you really want a to-go coffee, you can ask, but its rare that anyone walks around with coffees.  Food and drink is done sat down because the overall speed of everything here is so much slower.  For example, it takes forever for any order to arrive at the table - even a simple cup of coffee.  The other night, we ordered drinks that took about 30 minutes to arrive.  My inner-American is saying "geesh, the service here is awful" but the reality is that this is Argentina and this is what people know and expect.  There is no rush - ever.


Beautiful tiles and fountains at Plaza de España


Thursday, my host mom offered to show my friends and I the local aquarium.  It was one large room.  We are spoiled in Boston.  Earlier that day before the aquarium, my host mama took a 'siesta' (nap) and I decided to venture out for a run.  Here, the major park is El Parque San Martin.  It's absolutely huge with a large lake, walking and running trails, a rose garden, horse track, amphitheater and mucho more.  The amphitheater is really cool and is the site of the annual Vendimia Wine Festival.  A fabulous fun fact - they award the title of Miss Vendimia and she represents the wine festival for a whole year.  This could totally be me... wearing a crown AND drinking wine?  Que magnifico!  Anyway, the park this day was packed with runners.  People here are really active.  Oddly, the park also has "playground" gym equipment - like a kids playground but for adults and for exercising.  There are elipticals and other machines just built right into the ground.

My fabulous friend.

Friday, all student groups visited the Museo del Area Fundacional.  I mentioned in a prior post that the city was once destroyed by a massive earthquake that killed 1/3 of the population.  This museum is built on top of ruins so when you walk in, you see layers of street that once existed. 


Sara and I outside the museum... a large stone map of the park behind us.


The museum is built right on top of the old earthquake ruins.  This floor is hundreds of years old!

In addition, I've had a blast going out for dinner and drinks over the past two weeks.  There are great bars and restaurants.  Here, nightclubs play American music - in fact, EVERYONE here listens to American music.  They also seem to watch all of our tv shows but with sub-captions in Espanol.  Bars here stay open late.  For the true party animals, there are ´bolechas´ which are open from 1am to 6am!  I have no desire to visit them, but I have had a few late nights.  The strangest adjustment has been to have to 'text my mom' to let her know when I am coming home.  Fortunately, everyone here stays up late so she expects me to stay out past 1:00.  Texting her is great because I can fully prepare my Spanish before sending.  I tell her what time I think I will be home, and then I can add "mas o menos" (more or less) and anything goes.

Jeremy, Kara, and I at PPTH.

The best part...!
Hiking Cerro Aconcagua --- America´s tallest peak!!!!

At Cerro Aconcagua...
This weekend has been, by far, the highlight of this entire trip.  The Andes are absolutely breathtaking, especially when you are face to face with them.  ¡Las montañas son bellisimo! ¡Relindo!  Very early Saturday morning, we departed for a long weekend at Uspallata.  Despite the numerous schools, our little Salve group (8 of us) was lucky enough to travel alone.  On Saturday, we hiked at 3100m through beautiful snow-covered mountain terrain.  On Sunday, we hiked a very steep climb to the top of Cerro de la Cruz.  Once at the top, we were all pretty speechless.  The views are incredible.  Two of the coordinators of the Argentina-based program hiked with us.  One of the coordinators is all about the hiking.  She does it on a regular basis… not a bad way to spend your weekends!!  She has climbed to the top of Aconcagua and told us that it took an entire 14 days…..  After this weekend, I have a serious passion for these mountains and someday, will totally return to tackle the challenge myself…. Anyone in?

In addition to the hiking, I also went rock climbing, rappelled down the side of a mountain, and zip-lined.  I´m still in shock… It hasn´t really hit me yet that I actually did all of these things.  I have soooo many amazing photos, but here´s enough to get you started……

To put this in perspective.. can you find me? =)




Jeremy and I... my hometown buddy. This one´s for the papers!
 
Still can´t get over the view....

Also that day, we visited Puente del Inca - Below, these are the ruins of the hotel that was destroyed by a mudslide.  It was known for its hot springs (spa for visitors) which are still piping hot today.


See the hotel? Stairs to the side... and down below the hot springs!
At the top of Cerro de la Cruz!



SRU!
I have some awesome photos of the rappeling and rock climbing... soon to come, but here is how we reached the top before descending.... pretty crazy.

See the ladder? !¡!¡!¡!
Warriors.
I have two weeks left but am committed to fully enjoying every minute.  On Saturday, I sat on a rock beneath the mountains and just sat there for a while.  It suddenly all sunk in how amazing this experience is.  As I sat, I recalled nearly my entire life story.  Looking back on all of the moments in my life where I felt the world couldn´t get any smaller, I feel so blessed to be here now.  I´ve had moments in my life where I´ve possessed nothing, including myself.  With strength, ambition, and drive, I´ve found myself climbing mountains..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment