Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cerro Arco y la Virgen

Breathtaking...!


Another day another mountain..... On the descent down, I actually saw one of my Spanish professors.  This really IS what they do on the weekends! This past weekend, I had the option of hiking Cerro Arco or taking a guided tour of Divisadero Largo (birds, botany, and stuff) instead, but after learning the entire tour would be in Spanish, I opted for a good hike up Cerro Arco.  On this morning, it was absolutely freezing.  2degrees celcius!  Starting off was brutal, but within no time, we were hoofin and huffin our way up.  The entire hike up the mountain took nearly an hour and a half (with few breaks), but was incredibly worth it because it offers a view of the entire city of Mendoza!  It seems that there are mini shrines everywhere, but here, I was thrilled to find an adorable little Virgen de Guadalupe sitting at the top.  Overlooking the city, the rising sun lit up her beautiful little face.... 

Love...
 
I'm so motivated by all of the mountain climbing... and that it seems to be no big deal to the locals.  The other day, I joined a "running" group.  It went beyond running - like survival/warrior training.  We literally "ran" up and down a mountain.

Mendoza from Above

 

Muy lindo..!

 I had the awesome opportunity to listen to some American music twice this week.  First, I joined an aerobic class held outside in the park which played all American music including remixes of old songs from the 70s and 80s... heaven.  Then, I danced all night long on Saturday at some local bars.  You may recall that the typical party hours here run from 2am-6am or later.  This is completely normal.  People stay out all night on Saturday and then sleep all day on Sunday.  For us, we all arrived home around 4am.  It was strange entering my house so late (and then finding my host-sister and her boyfriend passed out waiting for me), but my friend Sara's mom actually laughed and asked why she came home so early!
 
Sunday morning I managed to rise early.  I think it's my first real quiet time at home - much needed.  My host mom woke roughly two hours after me and offered lunch at a local vegetarian restaurant. (Yes, there are a few!)  It was closed, like nearly every other restaurant and store.  Still, we found a place to eat, and upon leaving made small talk with an older couple sitting at a table next to us.  While chatting, a man walked over asking for food.  The couple gestured to what remained in front of them to which the man eagerly scooped up some soggy papas fritas (french fries) into his hands.  Before walking away, they offered him a dinner roll as well.  Everyone is so much more accepting here.  Beggars are everywhere and are simply turned down with a "No gracias senor" and a smile.  The next day in class, two chicas from another school asked why a woman gave them a piggish snub-nose gesture.  It's because they were giggling and freaking out over a man nearby their table and desperately gripping their purses..... Exactly my point!




Before I arrived, I thought I would fall in love with Argentina in comparison to home.  While I have loved some aspects, I suddenly seem to love where I am from more.  Even the music resonates differently.  At home, I call it "crap," but here, it's suddenly the sweet, beautiful, magnificent sound of ¨home.¨

No comments:

Post a Comment